With the holiday season upon us, millions of Texans are making holiday travel plans – which means Texas roadways will soon be very crowded. With an increase in traffic comes an increased risk of auto accidents. While there is nothing you can do to control how other people drive in heavy traffic, there are still plenty of things that you can do on your end to proactively protect yourself and reduce your chance of being involved in a collision.
Keep these defensive driving tips in mind to help keep you safe on the road:
- Leave yourself an out. Surround your vehicle with enough space to leave yourself a way out to escape conflict. Never put yourself into a trap where a collision is unavoidable because you didn’t leave yourself anywhere to go.
- Avoid driving in blind spots. Make sure other drivers see you by using your headlights, signals, and your horn if it becomes necessary, and never drive in a vehicle’s blind spot.
- Aim high in steering. Instead of just focusing on the car in front of you, look as far down the road as possible to see what they see. This keeps your car centered in your lane and allows you to more effectively monitor what is going on around you.
- Keep a safe following distance. It is important to leave at least three car lengths between your car and the vehicle in front of you. Not only does this reduce your chance of a rear-end accident in case the car in front of you needs to brake suddenly, but it will also give you greater visibility of the cars around you and give you enough space to make a safe lane change.
- Keep your eyes moving. Scan the road, don’t stare at it. Your eyes should be constantly moving as you drive – glance at your side mirrors, your rearview mirror, and at the flow of traffic and cars around you. Always keep an eye out for others to anticipate their movements and ensure that you are prepared to react.
An unexpected car accident can ruin anyone’s holiday. By following these tips, you can ensure that you are doing your part to drive safely. We at Stern Law Group wish you a happy and safe holiday travel season!
Stern Law Group is a Houston-based personal injury law firm accepting car accident cases in Houston, Bellaire, McAllen, and the surrounding areas. If you or a loved one is injured in an accident caused by a negligent driver, contact us to learn more about your legal rights. We’re available 24/7 at (877) 661-9900.