By the Numbers: Truck Accidents
Houston Truck Accident Lawyer
Whether you were injured in a collision with a large truck or other commercial vehicle, or are simply looking for more information on this important subject, reviewing statistics can offer a certain level of insight based on past collisions. These can help you gain a better understanding of what consequences are suffered when large trucks are involved in traffic accidents. In addition to reviewing the following information, you are always welcome to call a truck accident attorney at our Houston, Texas law offices.
We are happy to answer your questions and to offer our guidance during a free case review.
Commercial Motor Vehicle Statistics in Texas
According to statistics from the Texas Department of Transportation, the following are the numbers of commercial vehicles involved in traffic accidents in 2012. This can give one an idea of how often these occur and how many lives they impact.
Harris County led the state with the highest number of commercial vehicle accidents:
- 3,866 total commercial motor vehicle accidents
- 25 fatal accidents, causing 25 fatalities
- 377 serious injury accidents, causing 518 serious injuries
- 744 injury accidents, causing 1,186 injuries
- 2,694 non-injury accidents
The following are the number of commercial vehicle accidents for Texas as a whole:
- 26,403 total commercial motor vehicle accidents
- 460 fatal accidents, causing 525 fatalities
- 3,737 serious injury accidents, causing 5,287 serious injuries
- 4,181 injury accidents, causing 7,193 injuries
- 17,848 non-injury accidents
Nationwide Truck Accident Statistics
The following statistics were compiled from information presented by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). These apply to large trucks, vehicles with a gross weight of more than 10,000 pounds. According to nationwide truck accident statistics from 2011:
- 3,757 people were killed in truck accidents
- 88,000 people were injured in truck accidents
- 287,000 large trucks were involved in traffic accidents
- Most people killed and injured in large truck collisions were occupants of other vehicles. Of all truck accidents (single and multi-vehicle), 72% of fatalities and 72% of injuries were occupants of other vehicles.
- Large trucks accounted for 4% of registered vehicles and 8% of all vehicles involved in fatal traffic accidents.
- There were more than 10.2 million large trucks registered in the U.S.
- Texas led the nation with the highest number of truck accident fatalities, with 408.
The number of large truck occupants that were involved in traffic accidents increased from 2011 to 2012. There was an 8.9% increase in the number of truck occupant fatalities, from 640 in 2011 to 697 in 2012. There was an 8.7% increase in truck occupant injuries, from 23,000 in 2011 to 25,000 in 2012. 61% of large truck occupants who lost their lives in traffic accidents were involved in single-vehicle collisions.
Truck Accident Help in Houston, Texas
At Stern Law Group, we have seen just how much damage a truck accident can cause. Our goal is to help victims rebuild their lives by recovering financial compensation that makes this possible. In addition to handling truck accident insurance claims from start to finish, we can thoroughly investigate the cause of a collision to see exactly what party (or parties) can be held liable. We will pursue compensation from multiple sources as needed and can undergo negotiations or courtroom litigation – whatever approach is necessary to seek the best possible result for a client.
Through our years in practice, our attorneys have represented more than 40,000 clients. This level of experience helps us offer the highest quality legal counsel in complex truck accident claims and lawsuits.
Take this opportunity to learn more about our firm and your options by calling for a free consultation. Contact us today!