Houston Car Accident Lawyer
Injured? Call Stern Law Group at (877) 661-9900.
Car accidents are a leading cause of injury and death in the United States. When accidents cause injuries, victims and families can face tremendous consequences. While legal avenues are available in their fight for compensation, large insurance companies do everything possible to make the process exceedingly difficult. That’s why it becomes crucial to work with proven personal injury lawyers who can walk you through your legal journey and toward the recovery you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in the Houston area, consider involving a Houston car crash attorney from our firm. We're available 24/7 and can come to you if you can't make it to us!
Why Stern Law Group?
You can feel confident about choosing Stern Law Group to fight for your rights after a preventable accident, and here’s why:
- Over 150 Years’ Combined Experience
- Over 40,000 Accident Victims Helped
- Over $1 Billion in Verdicts & Settlements on behalf of our clients
- 24/7 Availability - FREE Case Reviews
- If We Don’t Win, You Don’t Pay
During our time in practice, our legal team has handled a wide range of accident and injury cases, including those involving:
- Catastrophic injuries
- Highly contested claims
- Diffficult battles at trial
Because of our experience, resources, and an unrelenting drive to win, we’ve been able to earn positive results time and time again for our clients, and secure hundreds of millions in compensation on their behalves.
Types of car accident claims our firm has represented include:
If you’ve been harmed in an accident caused by another driver’s negligence, a defective auto part, or for some other reason, we invite you to learn more about why we’re the right choice.
No matter the nature of your car accident, our attorneys are capable of evaluating your case, determining the extent of liability involved, and working diligently to file a successful claim. Do not believe that your claim will be resolved automatically or fairly without an attorney's help – you need a legal professional to protect your rights.
Car Accident Liability in Texas
Liability, or legal responsibility, is an important issue to address in the aftermath of a serious car accident. This will help you determine from what source (or sources) you can seek financial compensation for such expenses or losses as:
- Medical bills
- Damage to your vehicle
- Lost earnings
- Emotional trauma
- And more
Liability is not always a clear-cut issue, making it important to involve a Houston lawyer who can properly investigate the circumstances surrounding your accident, the terms of your own insurance policy, and a number of other important matters.
At Stern Law Group, we recognize the importance of properly identifying and assigning fault in a car accident case. Working with private investigators, accident reconstruction specialists, automotive professionals, and various expert witnesses, we can help to establish the sequence of events that led up to the collision and therefore the cause of the collision itself. This will then allow our attorneys to identify any and all at-fault parties, such as:
- Another driver. This is the most common scenario in car accident claims, as the majority of collisions are caused by some form of driver negligence or wrongdoing. Examples include: drunk driving, speeding, driving while distracted, or violating traffic laws. In cases where another driver caused your collision, you can usually collect compensation from that driver's auto insurance policy, though other sources of compensation can sometimes be identified and collected upon, depending on the case.
- An auto manufacturer, dealership or auto part retailer. Some car accidents are caused by defective, dangerous or poorly designed motor vehicles or auto parts. In these cases, the manufacturer, distributor, or retailer could be held legally responsible. Manufacturers have a legal obligation to produce vehicles and vehicle parts that are free from defects, and if they release a defective vehicle and a consumer is injured, they may be held accountable. Examples may include tire blowouts, engine fires, brake failure, steering system malfunction, unintentional acceleration, and ignition switch defects.
- A city, county or municipality. If a roadway defect caused your collision, the city or county responsible for designing and maintaining that road may be liable for your injuries. Filing a claim against a government entity in this way can be exceedingly complex, with strict time limits, but a skilled attorney can help you seek the compensation you deserve. Examples may include missing guardrails, large potholes, broken traffic lights, missing street signs, or dangerous roadways.
Because every case is different, it takes a complete investigation to reveal what party or parties should be brought to justice after a car crash. If you are interested in discussing a specific case with one of our legal professionals, please do not hesitate to call our offices.
Gathering Evidence of Your Car Accident
In some cases, there is a very clear cause of a car accident, but in other situations, the cause is not as clear. For instance, if a driver had just sent a text message before the crash, that can be used as evidence that the other driver was at fault. At other times, however, identifying the cause will require a thorough investigation.
Here are the elements that should be examined when investigating a car accident:
- Examine the scene - You need a law firm that will thoroughly investigate the scene of the accident.
- Video of the scene - Whether someone happened to video the accident or if it was caught on a surveillance camera, this can be used as excellent proof of the case.
- Witness interviews - Third-party witnesses can be an excellent addition to building a car accident case.
- Citations / convictions - If a police who responded to the accident issued a citation or an arrest was made, this can be used as evidence that the other party was at fault.
Filing an Auto Accident Claim
In the event of an accident, be sure to collect the necessary information from the other driver(s) involved if at all possible:
- Phone number
- Names, numbers, and addresses of any and all passengers involved in the accident
- Insurance information
To file an auto accident claim, you will need this information. If you went to the hospital to receive medical treatment after an accident, this is also information you will need to report in your claim. In some accidents, a police report is taken. In the event that this happens, this is also important to report to your insurance company.
Report the Accident to Your Insurance Provider
Once you have all of the necessary information, contact your auto insurance provider. Now you can begin the auto accident claims process. This should be done as soon as possible after the accident. Some insurance companies allow you to file a claim online while others will require doing it over the phone. Your auto insurance company should then be able to walk you through the paperwork. If you choose to enlist the help of an attorney for this part of your case, then the attorney can help you file the paperwork to make sure it is filled out accurately and completely.
Schedule an Inspection & Speak with an Adjuster
Your vehicle will have to be inspected for damages in order to conclude the total cost of repairs needed. The insurance company does not conduct this inspection, but rather it is done through an auto body shop near you. While insurance companies cannot tell you where to get your vehicle inspected, they can make suggestions on trusted auto body shops in the area. Once you have a quote that factors in the cost of parts, repairs and labor, you can take this to your insurer.
The next step is to speak with an insurance adjuster. The adjuster is responsible for assessing:
- The accident report
- Your auto insurance policy
- The other driver's auto insurance policy
- Medical costs
- Repair costs
- And more
After assessing the entirety of your case, they will give you a cost estimate. Once coverage is determined, you can make the necessary repairs. Unfortunately, at this part of the process many individuals find that their coverage has been estimated on the low end. In the worst cases, some auto insurance claims are outright denied.
Whether you are just beginning the process of filing an auto insurance claim or you need legal assistance to appeal a denied or low-cost estimate, Stern Law Group is here to assist.
Why You Need a Houston Car Accident Attorney
If you or someone you love suffered a serious injury, you've probably asked yourself, " Do I need a lawyer?" This is a question faced by any car crash victim, and its answer will depend on the severity of a collision, how the claim is being handled and other factors.
We recommend scheduling a free case review to see whether you may benefit from working with an attorney. In cases involving serious injuries, denied or delayed insurance claims, and questions of liability, you may need a legal professional's help.
The Stern Law Group Advantage
Insurance companies will do whatever they can to shift blame away from their drivers and transfer some percentage of fault to you. This can result in unfair compensation, and in some cases may result in you being held liable for causing the accident. By working with a Houston car accident attorney at Stern Law Group, you place a proven team on your side – a team that fights for the compensation you rightfully deserve and can protect you from false liability. Let us help you level the playing field between you and insurance companies.
more than 40,000 clients and recovered
more than $1 billion in settlements & verdicts on behalf of our clients, we know that we have what it takes to achieve satisfaction and success.
Contact us today for a FREE case review.
Our lawyers are passionate about our clients and do whatever it takes to help them and their families receive monetary compensation to cover their expenses and damages. Aside from providing you with experienced legal assistance during your claim, we also make it a point to devote our earnest support toward meeting your needs. We provide reasonable living expenses, rental/car assistance & medical costs for qualified clients. That is our level of commitment.
Call our experienced Houston car accident attorney today at (877) 661-9900 to discuss your legal options.