At-Fault Driver Has Insurance, But Not Enough

How Can I Get the Remaining Balance to Cover the Damage?

Similar to UM insurance is something called underinsured motorist insurance (UIM). Say the driver who hit you was only carrying the minimum possible liability. In Texas, the minimum liability limit is $30,000 for each injured person, up to a total of $60,000 per accident and $25,000 for property damage per Car Accident accident (30/60/25). If this minimum amount is not enough to cover the total cost of damages (medical cost, loss of wages, pain and suffering, etc.) then UIM insurance can compensate for the rest. UM insurance is extremely similar to UIM insurance. In fact, they are often lumped together in your auto insurance policy.

If you are not sure if you carry UIM coverage in your policy, check with your insurance company or a Houston attorney from our firm. Basically, UIM insurance picks up the slack. Accident victims shouldn't have to suffer the consequences of someone else's actions. While your insurance will be paying for some of the damages not covered by the at-fault driver, this does not mean that you are being penalized. Liability is not being shifted onto you. Also important to remember is that, like UM insurance, UIM coverage allows for bodily injury compensation as well as property damage compensation. You also cannot carry an amount of UIM insurance that is higher than your personal liability insurance, much like UM insurance.

Questions? Call (877) 661-9900 to consult a Houston lawyer.