Is UM/UIM Coverage Required in Texas?

Liability insurance is required in the state of Texas, but uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is considered additional coverage. Other additional coverages that can be purchased include personal injury protection (PIP), rental reimbursement, and medical payments.Car Insurance

According to the Texas Department of Insurance's regulations for automobile insurance, UM and UIM coverage carries an automatic $250 deductible. A deductible is what you have to pay before the insurance company will agree to pay for the remainder of the damage. It is important to note that the deductible must be paid in order to receive property damage coverage under this type of insurance. Paying the deductible is not required to receive bodily injury coverage.

In Texas, UM and UIM coverage, depending on the limits you have chosen, must have the ability to cover medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, disfigurement and permanent/partial disability in addition to property damages such as automobile repairs, rental car costs and coverage for damage to additional items in your car at the time of the accident. Again, while Texas provides for the possibility of all these types of coverage via UM/UIM insurance, total insurance coverage will ultimately depend on the type of coverage you have chosen for your policy.

Questions? Stern Law Group is here to help. Feel free to call a Houston lawyer at our office at (877) 661-9900.