Texas Car Accident Statistics
Insight from Your Legal Car Accident Professionals
Of all states, Texas consistently leads the nation in the number of traffic accident fatalities. Approximately 3,000 people are killed in auto accidents in Texas each year, and from 2015 to 2016 there was a 5.45% increase in motor vehicle traffic fatalities. Analyzing statistics for these collisions can help us get a better idea of why they occur and just how many lives they impact or claim. You can review this information or you can call a Houston attorney at Stern Law Group at any time to discuss your case. We are happy to offer our experienced insight.
Houston Car Accident Statistics
- According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TDOT), there were 67,241 traffic accidents in Houston in 2016:
- 237 were fatal accidents, claiming 245 lives
- 1,118 were serious injury accidents, leaving 1,304 people seriously injured
- 5,397 were classified as injury accidents, leaving 7,326 people injured
- 23,385 accidents with possible injuries
- 43,027 were non-injury accidents
- 2,630 were classified as "unknown severity"
Texas Auto Accident Facts & Figures
Also according to the TDOT, 3,773 people lost their lives in traffic accidents in Texas in 2016. This was an increase of nearly 5.45% from the previous year, in which 3,578 fatalities occurred.
TDOT statistics from 2016 also reveal the following:
- 1 person was killed in a Texas traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes
- 1 person was injured every 1 minutes and 59 seconds
- 1 reportable traffic collision occurred every 57 seconds
- 265,076 people were injured in traffic accidents in Texas. 17,582 people sustained serious injuries
- 34.27 % of traffic fatalities were classified as "single vehicle, run-off-the-road crashes"
- 26% of the people killed in traffic accidents lost their lives in drunk driving accidents
What Kinds of Vehicles Were Involved in the Most Fatal Accidents in Texas in 2016?
- Passenger cars: 1,915
- Pickup trucks: 1,341
- SUVs: 907
- Motorcycles: 497
- Tractor-trailers/semi-trucks: 403
- Vans: 141
- Trucks: 111
What Kinds of Vehicles Were Involved in the Most Serious Injury Accidents in Texas in 2016?
- Passenger cars: 10,321
- Pickup trucks: 5,113
- SUVs: 4,757
- Motorcycles: 1,936
- Vans: 763
- Tractor-trailers/semi-trucks: 803
- Trucks: 485
What Are the Main Contributing Factors to Texas Car Accidents?
There are many scenarios which may lead to a car accident. A driver may be distracted and run a red light, an animal may run into the road or a driver may be speeding. Looking at the most common causes of Texas auto accidents can help one understand what behavior to avoid and what to be on the lookout for in terms of driver negligence.
According to the TDOT, the following were the leading causes of Texas traffic accidents in 2016:
- Failed to control speed: 32,155
- Driver inattention: 19,126
- Failed to drive in single lane: 10,835
- Failure to yield – turning left: 5,246
- Unsafe lane change: 37,523
- Following too closely: 26,954
- Faulty evasive action: 7,858
- Failure to yield – stop sign: 21,598
- Unsafe speed (under limit): 9,148
- Disregard stop sign or light: 22,500
- Failure to yield – private drive: 3,589
- Driving under the influence of alcohol: 5,108
- Had been drinking: 6,774
- Distraction in vehicle: 12,424
Ask a Houston Lawyer at Stern Law Group Today
If you were involved in a car accident in the Houston area and are looking for a legal professional who can provide insight regarding the true value of your claim and your right to compensation, call our firm. We have helped more than 40,000 clients and have successfully secured more than $1 billion in verdicts and settlements on behalf of our clients through our years in practice. We are well-equipped to handle your car accident case to the best possible result.
Contact our law firm today & schedule a free case evaluation!