Accidents are never a fun experience. In fact, some car accidents can leave a person so flustered that they forget the basics of how to react following the crash. However, it is important to keep certain tips in mind after a car accident to ensure your rights and physical safety are not at stake. Below is a list of helpful tips to remind you what and what not to do following a motor vehicle accident.
- Never admit that the accident was your fault. A common error people commit following a car accident is admitting fault. By doing so, you do not give yourself the opportunity to recover compensation for any injuries or damages. It is important to keep in mind that the accident has not been fully reviewed and so the accident can be the other driver’s fault as well.
- Make sure to obtain detailed information about the collision. It is important that a person involved in a motor vehicle accident obtain all details regarding the accident. This step is extremely important when a person goes to file an insurance claim. By recording all facts immediately, you can rest assured that these details will be available when speaking with an insurance adjuster.
- Take picture of the accident. A common mistake that people make after a car accident is not taking any pictures or taking very few pictures. It is important to take pictures of the scene from all angles , and pictures of both inside and outside the vehicle, if the area is not dangerous. In doing so, you solidify your details with visual proof.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Oftentimes, adrenaline surges through a car accident victim’s body, disallowing the victim to feel any injuries that may have occurred during the accident. By seeking medical attention right after the automobile accident occurs, you ensure that major injuries have not occurred.
- Make sure to get a copy of the police report. Oftentimes, victims of a car accident forget to obtain a police report since it could take up to two weeks to get a hold of one. However, it is important so that you are able to make sure there have not been wrongful claims on the report that could make you responsible for something that was not your fault.
- Always call the police. Many people avoid contacting law enforcement after an accident because they assume the accident is not an emergency or large enough to necessitate police. However, by not involving police, you leave yourself at risk for wrongful claims that may be made by the other driver later down the road.
By making sure you are taking the appropriate actions after you are involved in a car accident, you ensure your rights are protected and allow yourself room to recover compensation if need be. No matter what type of car accident you have been involved in, it is always good practice to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer to protect your rights and safety.
If you have been involved in a car accident, speak with one of our Houston car accident attorneys at Stern Law Group by calling (877) 661-9900. We have recovered over $700 million in compensation for clients!