Summer may not officially be here - the first day of Summer is June 21 - but warm weather and vacation time certainly is. For many across Texas, that means escaping the heat by jumping in the water. Unfortunately, swimming and water activities, while fun, can pose various risks. According to the American Red Cross, thousands of Americans suffer injuries in and around the water every year.
Whether it is a private or public pool, a lake or beach, or amusement park, making safety a priority is crucial. Here are some helpful water safety tips to keep you and your family safe this summer.
Drowning is one of the most significant risks individuals face in the water, and the results can be fatal. Here are some helpful tips to avoid drowning and near-drowning accidents:
- Always swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards.
- Never swim alone - make sure to use the buddy system.
- Make sure you and your family know how to swim - don’t rely on floatation devices.
- Know your limits - don’t push yourself.
- Stop swimming and get out of the water during storms.
- Alcohol and drugs significantly increase drowning risks
Children & Water Safety
Keeping kids safe when enjoying the water must always be a top priority. Parents can keep these tips in mind when enjoying the water with their children and can also use them to make sure anyone supervising their children around water are familiar with them as well.
- Always make sure children are supervised, even if lifeguards are around.
- Make sure private pools are properly fenced off to avoid accidents.
- Ensure kids have swimming skills before letting them swim freely.
- For younger children, consider the use of life jackets or floatation aids.
- Know what to do in an emergency - familiarize yourself with CPR and pool safety.
These simple water safety tips can make the difference in keeping you and your loved ones free from preventable harm. Even when taking precautions, however, the negligent acts of others can result in accidents and injuries. When this is the case, victims can work with personal injury attorneys to hold responsible parties accountable for the damages they caused.
If you or someone you love has suffered harm in an accident around water - including pool accidents - Stern Law Group is available to review your case and explain whether you may be entitled to compensation. Contact our firm today for a free and personalized case review.