Stern Law Group is currently representing Joel Casares and Debbie Casares in a case against the County of Hidalgo, Texas, after a collision with a Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office vehicle. Joel Casares and Debbie Casares v. County of Hidalgo, Texas (case no. C-5144-15-A) will be heard in the District Court of Hidalgo County, Texas, 92nd Judicial District.
According to the suit, the plaintiffs were driving their 2014 Fiat when a Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office vehicle, driven by an unnamed employee, failed to yield the right-of-way during a left turn. The driver struck the Fiat head on, resulting in injury to the plaintiffs.
The suit alleges the County vehicle driver exhibited negligence in the following ways:
- Wilfull disregard for the safety of people and property
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Failing to yield to traffic during a left turn
- Failing to operate the vehicle in a prudent and reasonable manner
Because the driver of the Sheriff’s Office vehicle is an employee of the County, they can be held responsible for his actions by association.
The plaintiffs are seeking the following damages from the defendant:
- Pain and suffering between the time of the accident and the time of the trial
- Future physical pain and mental anguish
- Lost earnings
- Past and future medical expenses
- Property damage
- Past and future physical disfigurement and impairment
The plaintiffs are seeking financial compensation greater than $100,000 but not more than $200,000 and have requested a jury trial.
To read the full petition, please click here.