Bicycle accidents cause hundreds of thousands of injuries each year and an average of 700 annual deaths. The majority of these accidents involve a car or truck. Because bicyclists have no external protection, they are extremely vulnerable to injury when they are struck by a motor vehicle. In the blink of an eye, a bicyclist can sustain a serious or even catastrophic injury that could change the course of their entire lives. The physical and emotional cost of an accident can be great, and the financial burden can be an extreme difficulty.
When accidents are caused by the recklessness or carelessness of another person, that person should be held legally responsible for compensating the victim for their injuries. An experienced bicycle accident attorney can assist with the filing of a claim seeking maximum compensation for the victim’s injuries. Even if you believe that you may have been partially at fault for your accident, you may still be eligible to collect compensation, so do not delay in getting a legal opinion regarding your case.
At Stern Law Group, we care about your safety. Consider this list of bicycle safety tips to help you avoid a preventable accident:
- Use hand signals. Use the proper hand signals when stopping, turning, or changing lanes so that other motorists can be aware of your intentions before you make them.
- Use the whole lane. If you are riding in the street, use the whole lane instead of riding off to one side. This will make you more visible and predictable to other motorists.
- Obey all traffic laws. Bicyclists are required to obey all the same traffic laws as the average motorist. This means stopping at red lights, riding with the flow of traffic, and yielding to pedestrians.
- Make yourself more visible. Many accidents can be prevented by increasing your visibility. Wear brightly colored clothing and gear and add reflectors to your bike to make yourself more conspicuous to other drivers.
- Avoid riding on congested streets. If possible, stick to riding in residential neighborhoods and areas where there aren’t as many cars.
- Be careful at intersections and driveways. These are both areas where accidents are more likely to occur.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own, contact Stern Law Group to discuss your potential case. Our firm may be able to help you seek compensation for things like past and future medical expenses, lost income, lost earning capacity, and physical and emotional pain and suffering. To schedule a free consultation with a Houston personal injury attorney at our firm, please call us at (877) 661-9900.