After a Workplace Accident

Work injury claim formHouston Attorney for Workers' Compensation Claims

Have you been injured in a workplace accident? If so, you may wonder what steps you should take to seek medical care and money for lost earnings while you are unable to work. The following is a basic overview of what you should (and should not) do after a work-related accident to recover the benefits you deserve through the Texas workers' compensation system. If you have additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call a Houston workers' compensation attorney at Stern Law Group. We will be happy to see how we can help.

If you are injured in a workplace accident, you should:

  • Seek medical attention. This is the first step to take if you are seriously injured and in need of emergency medical care. Receive first aid as necessary and call 911 or go to the nearest emergency department for immediate treatment. Make sure you tell your doctor that your injury is work-related and how it occurred.
  • Inform your employer. You need to report your injury to your employer within 30 days from the date of your accident, or you could lose your right to workers' comp benefits. Informing your employer in writing is highly recommended, while keeping a copy for your own records.
  • File a workers' compensation claim. You need to fill out and file a completed DWC Form-041 (Employee's Claim for Compensation for a Work-Related Injury or Occupational Disease) with the Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers' Compensation (DWC) within one year of the date of your accident. Filing this claim will protect your right to benefits.
  • Continue receiving medical care. Continue to attend doctor appointments and receive treatment as directed by your healthcare provider. Keep detailed records of all medical treatment you receive, as this may help ensure all of your care is covered and paid for.
  • Seek help if you experience any issues with your claim. If your claim is delayed, denied or disputed, you have the right to hire an attorney or to receive assistance from the Office of Injured Employee Counsel (OIEC). Getting professional help can make all the difference as you seek the benefits you need after a work accident, particularly if you believe your claim is being mishandled in any way.

Involve a Houston Work Accident Lawyer Today

Work accidents have the potential to cause serious injuries and lifelong disabilities. The workers' compensation system was created to offer employees a way to seek benefits for all work-related injuries without having to prove fault or negligence on the part of their employers or others. Employers are similarly protected from being sued for on-the-job injuries and occupational illnesses. This system can only work, however, if your rights are protected to the fullest extent. That is where a Houston work accident lawyer comes into the picture.

A skilled lawyer can help with such work accident cases as: construction accidents, falls from heights, injuries caused by falling objects, maritime accidents, oil field injuries, industrial accidents, heavy machinery malfunction, defective tools or other devices, slip and fall accidents, accidents in office buildings, plant fires and explosions, manufacturing accidents, chemical exposure and more.

Filing a workers' compensation claim and handling any resulting hearing or appeal can be difficult if you are not familiar with these proceedings and your rights and responsibilities as an injured worker. After a workplace accident, a lawyer who has experience with these matters can offer guidance and counsel to help you pursue benefits in a timely manner. Receive a free consultation regarding your claim from a knowledgeable professional by calling our Houston, Texas law offices today. We are standing by to see how we can protect your interests and rights in this important issue.